Thursday, October 07, 2004

Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam!

From the Cheney/Edwards debate last night:
EDWARDS: The vice president, I'm surprised to hear him talk about records. When he was one of 435 members of the United States House, he was one of 10 to vote against Head Start, one of four to vote against banning plastic weapons that can pass through metal detectors.

He voted against the Department of Education. He voted against funding for Meals on Wheels for seniors. He voted against a holiday for Martin Luther King. He voted against a resolution calling for the release of Nelson Mandela in South Africa.

If the debate had been Street Fighter (and I wish that they would settle this sort of thing through some sort of personal combat) that flurry would have been a six-hit combo that would have drained Cheney's energy bar and scored Edwards a flawless victory for the round. In real life, Cheny didn't actually die, but his political career might have -- he just had no comebacks for any of these savage body blows.


3 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Man, that Combo is so cheap. That D. Cheney... I bet he doesn't even have any nipples.

10/07/2004 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

Whether I'm wrong or not, the debates are, for better or worse, largely about superficial public perception. They're not so much about who's right or wrong, but who comes off looking better.

On the whole, I actually call the Cheney/Edwards debate a tie on style, since Cheney misrepresented the truth a lot, but did it coolly and convincingly. On substance, I give it to Edwards, who I think comes out ahead once the fact-checkers have done their work. But that's my view of it, and your mileage may vary. I should point out, though, that you offered more of a defense of Cheney than he was able to himself, and I wonder why his own response was so feeble.

But as I said, it's about style, and that's why most polls and commentators would rate the debate a tie, as I did. And whether it's all superficial perceptions or not, the average viewer had to be pretty appalled at Cheney being against children, old folks, and black people, but for Glock pistols. Advantage: Edwards.

Of course, you should keep in mind that I'm Canadian, and thus, practically a communist.

10/11/2004 08:41:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

In the words of Kool Moe Dee, "Guns? We don't like to use 'em / Unless -- our enemies choose 'em / We prefer to fight like a man / Beat you down with our hands and bodyslam you" in the wild, wild ... er, north.

But personally, I love the guns. and I'm all for your Second Amendment. You've got to have something to keep the government in line. And you might be pleased to know that I spent a significant part of our Thanksgiving day weekend picking off pop cans with a pellet gun. Turns out I'm a crack shot with a rifle. Then I went into work today and bragged about my sniper skills to my boss and hinted that he'd do well to remember about this when it's time for my next raise.

10/13/2004 01:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares