Sunday, November 21, 2004

ABC's TGIF lineup: The "TGIF" stands for "Lowest Common Denominator"

A while ago, I stopped and watched about a minute of this TV show called Hope & Faith that my housemate was watching. In that brief period, it not only set up the episode's premise as a blatant rip-off of the plot of About a Boy, but also featured a character babbling "Is that your final answer?" as a punchline -- a cultural reference that was trite and played out five years ago.

I got so angry that I made her change the channel, and threatened to permanently disconnect the cable television if I caught her watching that drivel again. It's not even that I wanted to watch something else; I was just passing through the room, and I have my own TV. I simply never want any television programming that inane to enter my home ever again, whether I'm there at the time or not. And since I pay the cable bill for the household, I'm laying down the law.

You know, I'm going to be the best goddamn father on earth someday. I'll make Murry Wilson look like Ward Cleaver.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anybody's still bludgeoning the "final answer" joke to death, it makes sense that it's ABC. They're such horrible shills.

Performers from "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" doing improv bits on "Drew Carey," I could understand. It's when you're writing entire episodes about your corporate holdings, like this sitcom character's appearance on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" or that sitcom family's three-episode trip to Walt Disney World, that you've gone too far.

ABC has no shame. Oh, and no good programming.
- Matt

11/22/2004 02:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares