Monday, December 19, 2005

Ripped from the headlines

Men vs. Santa: Bad Santas run wild in Auckland*

For me, the notion of 40 Santas fucking shit up in New Zealand isn't really odd. After all, they were wearing heavy coats and fur-lined hats and boots, and it's summer there. I get a little stir-crazy if I'm wearing a bulky winter jacket and the bus driver just has the heat a few degrees too high. These dudes were literally hot under the collar, and I don't blame them. If Santa is in New Zealand, he should be allowed to go ahead and wear a grass skirt like everyone else there does.


Time vs. Clown: Sol, Québec's famed hobo clown, dies of cancer

Sol was, bar none, my all-time favorite Francophone clown ever shown on classroom television. In French class back in public school, we used to watch Parlez Moi, a TV Ontario show made up of little vignettes featuring the sad-faced clown, such as "Sol Buys a House", "Sol Goes to Court", and the oddly prescient "Sol Dies of Cancer". Any television watched in class is automatically good, but Sol raised the bar by actually being sort of amusing. Au revoir, Sol.


* Scott, you could have gone ahead and posted this yourself, lazy ass.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. It may be summer in Auckland, but for the last week and a half it's been mostly gusty and drizzly.

2. It is a pretty good way to have a consequence-free pub crawl. Like the story says, none of the miscreants can be identified since they were all dressed the same.

3. We don't all wear grass skirts. Some of us wear loincloths and cloaks made from moa feathers.

12/19/2005 03:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean New Zealand isn't filled with furry-footed midgets and sage old wizards with whom one might spend an evening recanting tales of adventures of yore and enjoying a good pipe?

Fuck that, cancel my flight.

12/19/2005 03:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When ever I see an pineapple I think of that show (I don't remember if the pineapple was a regular character or not, but I used to love saying "anana"...heck, it's still fun)

Marlene

12/19/2005 08:58:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I could have posted the link myself but I didn't have anything to say about it. I figured you would. At the very least I thought you should know about it.

12/19/2005 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger SamuraiFrog said...

The funny thing is, every year for the last ten or so years, there have been Santa riots all around the world (they don't always riot, sometimes they just get drunk and march, etc.). But no one keeps track of this stuff; I can't even find a good enough explanation on the internet. But yeah, I'd be surprised if this was the only one this year.

12/20/2005 08:45:00 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Jangles said...

My grass skirt is at the cleaners.

12/20/2005 02:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anana was on a different show: Telefrancais. (Accents removed to protect the Anglophones.)

I will now perform (to the best of my memory) the opening number to Telefrancais:

Telefrancais, Telefrancais, bonjour, allo, salut! Telefrancais, Telefrancais, lisez, parlez avec nous! C'est formidable, sensational; c'est marvilleux, c'est magnifique. Telefrancaise FANTASTIQUE (oop!) Telefrancais, Telefrancais. Telefrancais. (strum)

Also: I can't spell the French. Hope you didn't notice.

12/21/2005 06:19:00 PM  
Blogger Steve Ely said...

I like that the person from New Zealand posted as "sheep."

12/21/2005 06:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares