Sunday, October 24, 2004

Is it Saturday Night Live or Saturday Night Memorex?

I just saw something interesting on Saturday Night Live: The show came back from commercial to join musical guest Ashlee Simpson, who was starting her second performance of the night (although, unusually, she hadn't been introduced by the show's guest host, Jude Law). After a couple of lines, the volume of the vocal track faded out. She danced a little idiotic jig for a while, wandered around looking confused and embarrassed for a few seconds, then left the stage. Her band vamped for a few more seconds, and then the show abruptly cut back to commercial. Lip synching trouble?

Update: At the end of the show, she claimed the problem was that her band had started playing the wrong song. Could be. It's not like I can tell one Ashlee Simpson song from another.

Further Update:
Ashlee Simpson in a recent Lucky magazine interview:
LM: What are your takes on lip-synching?

AS: I'm totally against it and offended by it. I'm going out to let my real talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me.
Well, then. That settles that. I guess I didn't see what I thought I did after all.

Or did I? You can see fans going nuts about this on her message board, the NBC message boards, or on the Saturday-night-live.com fansite forum, or you can read about it in the New York Daily News, but better yet, you can check out the video of the incident here. I should point out that the vocals seemed to catch her off-guard as they came on, as her microphone was down by her hip, and she quickly had to snap it up to her mouth.

Classy move for her to blame her band, though. By all accounts, they were indeed plugged in live and tried like hell to save her by switching over from the song they were supposed to be playing to the one whose vocals were actually broadcasting (apparently, the same one she'd "sung" in her first performance -- as I said, I can't tell them apart and didn't pay much attention to the first performance anyway).

I guess this is what SNL deserves for whoring itself out to push untalented prefab pop acts whose record labels are owned by the same parent company (Ashlee is on Geffen, which is owned by Vivendi/Universal, which merged with NBC last year). I hope Elton John throws another anti-lip-synching hissy-fit about this one.

7 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

How about posting a spoiler alert for us west coasters, huh Lynner?

10/24/2004 02:13:00 AM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

You should be thanking me. I get the show live and you don't. Now only does that give me a chance to tip you off about what to look for, but it also gives me the chance to let you know that, apparently, the West Coast actually got an edited feed which makes it look more like the band's fault, when it wasn't after all. Classy move for her to blame them, though.

10/24/2004 01:28:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

How was it edited? I thought I saw everything you did. I'm going to check out the links you posted...

10/24/2004 02:32:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

Apparently they just took out her vocal in the replay. That way, it looked like the band just plain played the wrong song.

10/24/2004 02:42:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

The West Coast feed that we saw appeared unedited. We got the vocals coming in with Ashlee clearly not singing. We also got the weird fading in and out of the vocal track with that odd, backgroundy feel. Very entertaining.

10/24/2004 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

I'll take your word for it, then. What's been done in other situations like this, though, is to simply show the rehearsal performance for the West Coast broadcast.

10/24/2004 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

No worries. Videos of both her aborted performance and her passing of the buck at the end of the show are all over the web. I imagine you'l be seeing them on late-night TV talk shows this week too.

10/25/2004 01:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares