Saturday, February 26, 2005

I take on Miss Tran again, and it gets personal

I was waiting for the bus tonight, when it came whizzing by. By. As in without stopping. I threw up my hands in outrage just in time for the driver to see, and he pulled over when he got through the intersection. I hustled over.

"Sorry man," he said. "But you were standing too far from the sign."

That tore it. I hadn't been really upset, but he should have just stopped at "Sorry, man." Thus began a lengthy argument that included the following points:
  • He obviously just wasn't paying attention.
  • I was standing just where I always stand, so he should just admit he wasn't paying attention rather than try to deflect the blame on me.
  • In fact, I was literally standing in the footsteps of a winter's worth of bus passengers who have managed to board the bus in the past.
  • If I stood closer to the sign, that would put me closer to the street corner, and the last bus driver to pass me by said it's because I was too close to the corner and he thought I was just waiting to cross the street, so why risk that again?
  • How close is close enough anyway? Ten feet? Five feet? One foot? Perhaps he could tell me the maximum allowable standing distance and I could go back Monday and draw an appropriately sized circle around the pole that hopeful passengers could stand inside. Or perhaps I should make it a semicircle, as we wouldn't want anybody misunderstanding it and standing inside the circle, but out in traffic.

Best argument I've had in weeks.

5 Comments:

Blogger Marlene said...

That reminds me of how frustrated I was today at the grocery store when I noticed the lady in front of me had 12 items in the "9 items or fewer" lane.

2/26/2005 01:14:00 AM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

Did the sign really say "9 items or fewer" instead of the grammatically incorrect "9 items or less"? That would make me so happy.

2/26/2005 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger Marlene said...

No, it said "less". I put "fewer" because Scott loves to correct people, signs and me on that one. I figured it would be a pet peeve of your's too.

2/26/2005 11:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On an international level, over here in Britain the Marks and Spencer supermarket chain (home of the upper middle class) received so many complaints about the use of the word 'less' that now all the signs have been changed to '15 items or fewer'. Hooray!

Yours,
Phil

2/27/2005 07:56:00 AM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

I'm officially moving to Britain. I like the idea that grammar sticklers can actually effect change somewhere on the planet.

2/27/2005 11:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares