Monday, May 30, 2005

My favorite part of Revenge of the Sith

I'm such a nerd. I went to see Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith on Saturday night (which isn't the part that makes me a nerd, but is surely worth extra credit), and I was thrilled to pieces when I read the opening crawl. It said this:
Episode III
REVENGE OF THE SITH

War! The Republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Sith Lord, Count Dooku. There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.

In a stunning move, the fiendish droid leader, General Grievous, has swept into the Republic capital and kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine, leader of the Galactic Senate.

As the Separatist Droid Army attempts to flee the besieged capital with their valuable hostage, two Jedi Knights lead a desperate mission to rescue the captive Chancellor....
Why was I so delighted? Because the final sentence ended with four dots -- a period followed by three ellipsis dots -- rather than with a mere three-dot ellipsis, just as section 10.55 of the Chicago Manual of Style advocates should be done with a sentence that is grammatically complete but trails off. I took it as a good omen that the rest of the movie would be marked with a similar commitment to quality and attention to detail.

It was okay, I guess. I couldn't really enjoy it after it dawned on me what a nerd I am.



Bonus: I also rather enjoy the new Liam Lynch/Darth Vader duet "My United States of NOOOOOOOOOOO!" Download it and listen!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!

6/01/2005 10:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I thought I was the only one who actually did that....

6/26/2005 02:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares