Monday, November 08, 2004

Why I don't take more vacation days

Because I've got a lot of vacation days left, I'm taking Mondays off work for the rest of the year. So far, I'm off to a great start.

Despite it being a bitterly chilly afternoon that saw the first snowflakes of the year, I went out to get some groceries. When I got home, I realized I'd locked myself out of the house. No one would be back for hours, and I couldn't even run the rest of my many planned errands because each one required me to get back into the house for one reason or another. "Fuck it!" I said. "I'm going to the pub."

So I hid my groceries behind some bushes in our yard and I was off. After a couple of hours, I checked back home to see if anyone was there. No dice. So I traipsed off to the public library for another couple of hours before checking home again. Still no one home. By this time, I was pretty pissed, so I delivered a few splintering kicks to the front door until I realized I was probably one good kick away from smashing it out of the frame. So I went back to the library for another hour. Still no one was at home. I went over to the landlord's house. No one there either. Dropped by a friend's place. Not home. Anyone back at my house yet? Of course not.

I was headed for a pay phone to look into finding a warm place to sleep when I ran into my housemate with her boyfriend. "I need you to let me into the house!" we said in unison. It turned out they hadn't been able to get into the house for an hour (which explains why no one was home) because the front door wouldn't work. So she was hoping I could let them in through my side door. The front door wouldn't work, I realized, because I'd snapped the lock's cylinder with my feet of fury. Not only had I locked myself out of the house, but I'd trapped everyone else outside too.

We got back to the house to find another housemate trying to get in. Everyone was appalled that I'd managed to forget my key to the side door on the very same day the front door abruptly stopped working. What a terrible coincidence!

In the end, I ended up squeezing through a small second-story window, letting the others into the house, and -- even though I was the cause of the whole sorry scene -- playing the hero.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the worst thing about this story is that you still haven't done the Ruddy Ruddy update yet.

11/09/2004 04:47:00 AM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

That really was on my list of things to do, too. Another thing I wanted to do was laundry. See the next post to see the problems that missing out on doing this led to.

11/09/2004 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

If you're using your remaining holidays to take a bunch of Mondays off then I don't understand how you'll be able to make it to see Marlene and I for our traditional New Year's Eve shindig.

11/09/2004 03:34:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

Everyone in the company is already getting all kinds of time off from Christmas to New Year's. I don't have to waste vacation days to get that time off. Am I really invited?

11/09/2004 07:10:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

No, not really.

11/09/2004 08:22:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Of course you're really invited! Don't we always spend New Year's Eve together? You and I have for about a million years and Marlene and I figure we've spent at least two but probably the last three with you. We would not, however, get to eat at the Copper Penny. Plus Marlene says that your mom is going to have to come and pick you up to get back to her house.

11/09/2004 08:26:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

Well, where are you going to be? In Vancouver, or in the Kingston area with your family?

11/09/2004 08:58:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

In Van, dummy. That's what makes it tricky.

11/10/2004 05:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares