Monday, May 15, 2006

For the record, "God" is a little presumptuous for my tastes.

Though we both kind of disapprove of internet quizes, Jay sent this grammar quiz along, figuring you folks might like seeing how I did. I should point out, however, that a couple of the questions are matters of style rather than grammar, and couple are matters of taste. That notwithstanding, it appears that I'm in the 1% of test-takers who got all the questions right. At least, it didn't tell me I got any wrong, and the below would seem to indicate some sort of infallibility.







How grammatically correct are you? (Revised with answer key)




You are a GRAMMAR GOD!

Congratulations! If your mission in life is not already to preserve the English tongue, it should be. You can smell a grammatical inaccuracy from fifty yards. Your speech is revered by the underlings, though some may blaspheme and call you a snob. They're just jealous. Go out there and change the world.
Take this quiz!








Quizilla |
Join

| Make A Quiz | More Quizzes | Grab Code

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It told me that I'm a "god" too, but when I looked at the answers Iafterwards I saw that I actually got a couple wrong. I don't doubt that you got all of them right though.

Marlene

5/15/2006 10:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got most of them wrong, according to the key, but it still crowned me GRAMMAR NINJA.

Ho ho! Top 1% eh? Something's not right here. If you check the total results you get a page stating: You are a GRAMMAR GOD! 7038 times, 32%

Hey wait, more people are Gods than anything else! What? Are you saying this inter-quiz isn't an accurate test of my abilities?

5/15/2006 11:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grammar God over here too.

So, in my efforts to eradicate bad grammar, I know have an ace up my sleeve: I can affix a title to myself.

My friends had colloquially referred to me as "the grammar patrol", but that was a vigilante patrol at best.

Now that I am sanctioned by the pope, things shoulg go preeeeetttty well...

5/16/2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Transcience said...

When it comes to grammar, I adopt a baseball mentality: people make errors, sure, but I can't accept "mental" errors. In other words, I'm more concerned with preparation than perfect execution, and as such I don't mind uncharacteristic grammatical errors nearly as much as, well, characteristic ones.

5/16/2006 01:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Fed Ex!

It's the consistent errors that show a person was simply never taught correctly. We all fall victim to typos, but it's the stuff like typing "mind as well" instead of "might as well" that shows a person just straight-up has it wrong up in their cranium.

5/16/2006 03:48:00 PM  
Blogger Transcience said...

No, "mind as well" is an eggcorn, which Petey Lynn blogged about at some point.

5/17/2006 01:21:00 AM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

Speaking of eggcorns, I just caught hockey blogger James Mirtle saying Ottawa Senators coach Bryan Murray has made it clear he'd "just assume" not have goaltender Dominic Hasek return to the team, when he obviously meant "just as soon". (The sentence has since been corrected.)

5/17/2006 10:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares